Do you use literature circles or book clubs in your classroom? Then this BUNDLE of 3 resources is EVERYTHING you'll need!
20 Detailed Lessons to Launch Literature Circles
1. Establishing routines and expectations
2. Picking a 'just right' literature circle book
3. How to be prepared
4. Learning to listen
5. Make personal connections
6. Sharing thinking
7. Avoiding interruptions
8. Sharing evidence from the text
9. Staying focused
10. Relating Text
11. Adding on to others' comments
12. Agreeing and/or disagreeing with others
13. Asking real questions
14. Providing different interpretations
15. Creating group discussions
16. Evaluating a group discussion
17. Self-reflecting on group time
18. Evaluating group listening skills
19. Planning for projects
20. Practicing to present
Teacher Pages Include
• Teacher tips for forming groups.
• 4 levels of teacher support explained.
• Checklist for choosing literature circle books.
• Lit. circle checklist for getting started.
• 2 Lit. circle group management pages.
• Literature Circle Student Effort Rubric
• Literature Circle Group Rubric
Students Pages Include:
• Checklist for being ready for a lit. circle group (2 formats).
• Lit. circle assessment form.
• Is a book just right for me?
• Self-evaluation form (2 formats).
• Group-evaluation form (2 formats).
• Ready to present project checklist.
Response Pages, Projects, and MORE!:
• 4 literature circle project ideas and instructions. Projects are great to complete once a literature circle group completes reading a book. This may take several group discussions if it’s a chapter book they are reading.
• Presentation grading rubric (2 formats).
• Literature Circle Monthly Planning Calendar.
• Literature circle Journal pages and covers
Covers (3 versions).
• A list of possible journal responses
• A list of possible response questions
• A list of possible discussion starters
• Blank and open-ended question cards for group discussion (perfect for any book).
• Student Response Forms (perfect to glue into notebooks or bring to meetings).
• Open-ended response forms.
• Response forms by comprehension theme:
• Making Connections
• Student response grading rubric.
• Literature Circle Contract.
ALL THE SUPPORT YOU NEED for planning, running, evaluating, and grading literature circle groups!
Copyright © 2018 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.