Word Study Passages
228 Passages for Practicing Word Study Skills
If you have students who need practice identifying word parts quickly while reading, then these passages are for you!
The goal of the passages is to give students practice with word study skills right inside the context of reading.
After reading, students will identify the word study skills by studying the 4 bolded words in each passage and working with each word on the bottom of the page.
Included in EACH Word Study Passages Set:
- 12 word study passages to help identify prefixes in texts during reading.
- 4 bolded tier 2 words in every passage.
- Word study work underneath each passage.
- Writing connection, applying words into own writing.
- Google Classroom Digital Version.
EVERYTHING IS ON ONE PAGE!
Ideas for Use:
- As mentor texts during a whole group word study lesson on prefixes.
- In a small guided reading group.
- In a word study reading center.
- As independent practice after a lesson on prefixes.
- As a homework review.
THE 19 SKILLS!
- Below is the list of word study skills that will be available in the growing bundle!
- Sets will publish about every 3 weeks until the bundle is complete.
- Each skill comes with 12 passages (6 Fiction, 6 NF).
- Suffixes Volume 1
- Suffixes Volume 2
- Context Clues
- Word Parts
- Base Words
- Multi-Meaning Words
- Background Knowledge
- Compound Words
- Apply the Word
- Monitoring for Meaning
- Words in a Phrase
- Word Lists
- Literal v. Figurative Language
Copyright © 2020 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.
Jen is a Literacy Collaborative Coordinator and Curriculum Writer with with over 13 years experience in education. She provides professional development for teachers around the world, offering free webinars, complete online courses, school and district trainings, and free Facebook Live trainings.
StartApply the Word
StartInferring Word Meanings
StartLiteral v. Figurative Language
StartMonitoring for Meaning
StartSuffixes Volume 1
StartSuffixes Volume 2
StartWords in a Phrase